Nevion Virtuoso is a revolutionary software-defined media virtualization platform, offering wide-ranging functionality for live production, contribution and professional media transport applications. Its versatility enables a faster time-to-production and greater cost-effectiveness.
Virtuoso’s functionality is virtualized, and delivered by software modules, known as Media Functions – all designed to perform with ultra-low latency. These licensed-controlled functions can be installed, activated and changed on demand – meaning there is no need to switch equipment when a change of functionality is required. Most of the media functions run on generic Media accelerators, which are housed in a Media Server Appliance. Accelerators provide the required processing resources for media functions ranging from video encoding to advanced audio video processing.
Virtuoso can perform a large variety of software-based media functions, including but not limited to:
- SDI, SMPTE 2022-6 and SMPTE 2110 processing and adaption
- IP audio processing/embedding/de-embedding (MADI, ST2110, AES67)
- Extensive input signal monitoring with option for alarm-based input switching
- Video encoding and decoding for JPEG 2000, H.264/AVC, TICO & XS
- Support for SD, HD, 3G, 2K (cinema), 4K/UHD (broadcast and cinema), slow-motion and stereoscopic 3D
- Advanced transport protection, including FEC, ST2022-7 and LDO (launch delay offset)
- Comprehensive SDI and TS monitoring
- Alarm-based intelligent switching
- Content protection including BISS1, BISS2 and BISS-CA scrambling
See a comprehensive list of capabilities here
Media functions are listed on this page, under Related Products below.
Media Server Appliances
The Nevion Virtuoso platform has been designed to allow for the provision of Media Servers (appliances) with different characteristics, such as size, number of Media Accelerators that can be accommodated and level of modularity, in order to suit virtually any deployment scenario.
Currently, the following Media Servers are available:
- Nevion Virtuoso FA: a 1 RU flexible appliance with dual AC load-sharing power supplies. It includes a built-in 10GE uplink for MPEG-2 TS adaption, processing and monitoring, as well as element management functions. It can hold up to four Media Accelerators, and is cost effective and suitable for fixed and mobile flight case deployments.
Take the 360 tour of the Nevion Virtuoso FA
- Nevion Virtuoso MI: a 1 RU modular infrastructure appliance with dual AC or DC load-sharing power supplies, supporting hot-swap and internal redundancy for element management, internal communications and network uplinks. Nevion Virtuoso MI can hold up to 8 Media Accelerators, supporting for example 1 Network Uplink and 7 Media Functions, 2 Network Uplink and 6 Media Functions, or 8 stand-alone Media Functions.
Take the 360 tour of the Nevion Virtuoso MI
Nevion Virtuoso Media Accelerators are designed to provide the optimum performance for Media Functions.
Currently, the following Media Accelerators are available:
- HBR Media Accelerator: designed for high-bit-rate Media Functions, with flexible interfacing to IP/10GE, SDI/video or audio signals
- HBR25 Media Accelerator: designed for HD and UHD IP Media Functions, with flexible interfacing to IP/25GE and SDI video up to 12G.
- H.264/AVC Accelerator: designed for the highest quality H.264/AVC and MPEG-2 enconding/decoding
- ASI/TS Interface Accelerator: designed for ASI adaption
More Media Accelerators are planned.
Management and orchestration
The Nevion Virtuoso platform, together with Nevion’s VideoIPath orchestration and SDN management software, are designed to enable the full potential of IP-based lean production. VideoIPath controls the functionality on the platform including service scheduling, provisioning and monitoring.
Find out more by clicking here.