Nevion Virtuoso is a standards-based, virtualization-ready, software-defined media node that can be used to perform a variety of real-time functions in the converged IP LAN/WAN network – for example in broadcast facilities, contribution, remote production and terrestrial distribution. Its versatility enables a faster time-to-production and greater cost-effectiveness.
Virtuoso’s functionality is virtualized, and delivered by software modules, known as Media Functions – all designed to perform with ultra-low latency. These licensed-controlled functions can be installed, activated and changed on demand – meaning there is no need to switch equipment when a change of functionality is required.
Most of the media functions run on swapable Media accelerators, which are housed in a Media Appliance. The accelerators provide the required processing resources for media functions ranging from video encoding to advanced audio video processing.
Virtuoso can perform a large variety of software-based field-upgradable media functions, including but not limited to:
- SDI, SMPTE 2022-6 and SMPTE 2110 transport and adaption
- Uncompressed video transport (SMPTE 2022-6)
- Video encoding and decoding for JPEG 2000, H.264. MPEG-2 and TICO
- Support for SD, HD, 3G, 2K (cinema), 4K/UHD (broadcast and cinema), slow-motion and stereoscopic 3D
- AES67 and MADI audio handling
- A/V processing, including SMPTE 2110 hand-off to and from SDI and SMPTE 2022-6, and audio embedding/de-embedding
- Advanced transport protection, including FEC (forward error correction), 2022-7 based SIPS (Streaming Intelligent Packet Switching) and LDO (launch delay offset)
- Comprehensive SDI and TS monitoring
- Alarm-based intelligent switching
- BISS-1 and DVB-CISSA encryption
See a comprehensive list of capabilities here
Media functions are listed on this page, under Related Products below.
There are currently 3 main PCI-compliant Media Accelerators, on which Media Functions run. The main and most versatile accelerator is called HBR (high-bit rate), and is used by most of the Media Functions. There is also an H.264 accelerators, designed to boost H.264/AVC and MPEG-2 encoding and decoding, and an ASI accelerator, which provides ASI adapters with configurable direction of ports.
The Nevion Virtuoso platform has been designed to allow for the provision of Media Servers (appliances) with different characteristics, such as size, number of Media Accelerators they can accommodate and level of modularity, in order to suit virtually any requirement. See for example the Virtuoso M2 here.
Management and orchestration
Nevion Virtuoso platform, together with Nevion’s VideoIPath orchestration and SDN management software, are designed to enable the full potential of IP-based lean production. VideoIPath controls the functionality on the platform including service scheduling, provisioning and monitoring.
Find out more by clicking here.